Monday, June 16, 2008

Back to civilization

I was back last night. From IW camp. To civilisation. So many days didn't bathe or shower already, come back the first thing was to have a long shower. Then I lie on the bed to do some work. And then I fell asleep on my bed with a pen in my palm and lights on. And when I'm awake it was 6 something in the morning already. The pen still by my side, blanket still folded nicely, lights still on. Miraculously, I reached work very early today. Was the third who reached the lab.

The camp was a good experience. And I haven't got enough from it yet. I want more. But am not very confident with my debriefing skills. And from the post-mortem we had last night, there's a discussion about this and I realized that without relevant experience and just join as staff, more specifically a facilitator, will affect the name of Raleigh and demoralise the participants. Sigh. This makes me reconsider going for the next one because I really duwan to ruin it although I really hope I can go for the next one to gain more experience on this. Dilemma. Sigh.

Other than the debriefing part, I really like my logs head leadership. He planned everything perfectly with a detailed briefing 2 weeks before the camp, clear commands to everyone, patient, clear responsibility to every logs team member and being strict to the timetable and our responsibilities, except the driving part where I had to follow his car coz everytime also cannot follow up one. He's a fast driver. But I think Choon Wei will add "And you're a reckless driver".

There are some photos from the IW when I was in Kutu Pool team (checkpoint check and back up crew during the trek) taken when I was too bored waiting for the participants to go up and come down the hill from noon till night. If we were to take a video of what we did in Kutu pool people will think we, the Kutu team, were insane. hehe. Imagine having to stay at an isolated place without much thing to do except (1) lying on the rocks and do sunbathing or (2) floating on the water and do sunbathing as well.

Swimming, sunbathing, lying on rocks sounds normal, but having too much of that and lack of communication with outer world might lead to extraordinary acts. That's how the insanity set in. If you're lucky you will see us chewing on milo powder, jumping here and there imitating some tribal dance, laughing hysterically when nothing was funny to laugh about, playing swords game with branches, taking stupid photos. And no, I'm not going to show that photo. It's way too 'cool' to be shown here. Haha.

Being a staff in IW taught me quite a lot actually. I didn't know how to set up a tent, now I know. I didn't know about debriefing, now I know the theory (still need more improvement on the real debriefing la). I didn't know organizing a camp will have to consider on so many things, now I know roughly what it is about. I didn't know where is the water source, this time I manage to have the chance to drink straight from the water source on the last day morning.

OMG. I still haven't wash the clothes, shoes, sleeping bag, mess tin and bag from the camp. Gotta go wash up myself and the things already. Ciao.


p/s: The modified game and kungfu perfomances before the closing ceremony by Adrian, BJ, Adam and Edmund was damn funny. I laughed until stomach pain. Hope can watch it again. Haha..

p/p/s: One thing I really missed was star gazing. I think nothing can ever replace the star gazing experience we had after the trek in our IW when we were still participants Lying by the roadside (on the tar road actually) and look right at the sky despite the tiredness and sleepiness after the long trek. The starry night was so magnificent. It was one whole stretch of starry sky from the left eye corner to right eye corner. And the thousands of stars. We pointed at some unknown galaxies, guessing the name. And then we closed our eyes and let the silence calm our souls. I miss the moments. Ahhh~~~

No comments: