Monday, April 28, 2008

Gunung Dato' - First entry

Went to Gunung Dato' as planned yesterday.

Reached the base of Dato' at around 9am as planned. And reached the top of the hill about noon as planned also. And came down the hill a bit earlier than what we planned. I think we were almost like running down the hill at the top part coz it was not very steep and when it got steeper at the bottom part we slowed down a bit. But still it took less than what we expected.

Some might wonder (including my mum)... What's so fun about climbing mountains and make your body ache all over the next day?



There are actually few reasons why I like hiking:

1. The view at the hill top. I like it when all the hard work we endured we get something magnificent at the top (even nicer if plus a bit of wind blowing)


We had them both yesterday. The view and the wind. Although a bit hazy yesterday, so the view not so clear. But the wind was so soothing until our butts were stuck to the rocks and we din wanna come down. lol. For quite a while, nobody made a sound. There's only the sound of some unknown insects and the birds chirping. Everyone was engrossed by the view.


2. The sweat. lol. I know it's damn weird la. But sweating all out makes me feels good. I know other exercises also can sweat but hehe.. remember the first reason? The view? Imagine sweating and panting and wobble knees in exchange with the magnificent view. It's just incomparable with other sports.


And omg I'm so fat. My face is sooo chubby. My goodness.


Yumin's sweat was dramatically visible lol. See:




3. The companion. Hiking alone will be very boring. Having a bunch of climbing kaki is heaven!




And there are times when we stop and look around.


5. Having a bunch of crazy climbing kaki is even better. lol. My climbing kaki are really entertaining. Wont feel so tired when climbing. lol. This is the most important of all. But if got a bit noise it will be even better. =P miss IW times. Too bad nobody was fit enough to sing when going up Dato'. lol. Everyone was physically unfit. kekeke..

Crazy climbing kaki. Especially when it comes to posing...


Yumin's seducing pose on the rock. hehe.


Elaine said "I'm not going to seduce the rock. I just wanna touch it =P"


Keen's ghost face. lol. He was very exhausted already one. Still can make face when I shoot him. Geng.




Some tree-hugging poses:


Keen fell in love with the tree...


Adam the king of monkey. The one who always comes up with weird poses. This facial expression damn geli.



Monkey pose. Nah.. actually it's supposed to be yoga pose.


Adam imitating how girls nowadays pose for pictures.


Caught in between the rocks. Help!! lol... Soh poh..

Got a lot even more funny pictures we took when we were taking rests on the way up. We took quite a lot stops actually. haha. All of us spend like about 30 minutes posing on a rock. lol. Will post up next time. Dun have them with me now. Not in my camera.


And the ultimate reason of all is that hiking is like living a life.

Don't you think so? You will be able to enjoy the magnificent view at the top if you dun give up and walk all the way up. You can adjust the speed, either run or walk or crawl, take stops or go straight on without stopping, if you are determined enough you will get to the top. We would take stops and then when we have enough rest we would continue marching on. And when we need rest again, we take some rest and at the same time enjoy everything around us. The companionship, the trees, the rock and soils, the insects, the roots. And if you had good time during the process, when you reach the top, you will miss every bit of the moments you had before you reach the top. But the moments can only be kept in photos for nostalgic purposes. I can't imagine what memories can be left to me if one day I climb a hill without enjoying the process but only merely thinking about reaching the top?

Can understand the meaning behind this?

Hehe. I had been thinking about this while I was climbing yesterday. =)

This might not be a new idea but I'm so glad at least I thought of some links between hiking and life. hehe..


2 comments:

alacrity said...

lol i was thinking about the life thing in similar context, but instead of the uphill climb, i was thinking in the context of the downhill gallop. but anyway glad that now u c life is not a race :P
cheerio

yinkheay said...

How to see life in the context of downhill gallop? Keen sees it up and down though. Now that I know uphill theory and up and down theory. I'm curious how to incorporate downhill theory into life though.