22 December every year is as important as Chinese New Year for my family.
It's Winter Solstice (dong zhi)!!
All the ladies would sit around the table wrapping the glutinous rice batter around the filling to make tang yuan of course! (What do people call tang yuan in English? I checked google translate, it says it's dumpling in English, but Baidu Encyclopedia says it's glue pudding in English. Dun care la. I just call it tang yuan) Normally the fillings are made of chopped peanuts mixed with some sugar syrup. Yummm!!
I prefer glutinous rice batter for tang yuan over the batter for mooncake because glutinous rice batter is cooling when rolled in palms and mooncake batter is oily and warm, yucks.. hehe.
Mum always emphasizes that Winter solstice is a very important occasion because it means family reunion. She always repeats every year that Winter solstice is when the weather gets really cold back in China and the family members stayed at home and eat those warm tang yuan and had some chitchats.

Making tang yuans with mum and aunt at aunt's house. I looked very yong sui here. haha.

Tasty peanut fillings

Tang yuans yet to be cooked. The glutinous skin tend to dry up really fast and stick to each other or stick to the pan. So we had to cover the tang yuan with flour from time to time.

We have 3 various colours this year: Red, white and the new colour, green.

Tang yuans were then boiled to cook. Supposedly those which floated up are cooked.

Tang yuan served with pandan leave soup


Mum made one tang yuan with smiling face. hehe. cute!

The red ones are with black sesame flavoured fillings

The green and white ones are with peanut flavoured fillings. I prefer peanut flavour.

Zhuang posing with tang yuan. Fake smile. haha.
People say winter solstice is the day with longest nighttime and shortest daytime. But I don't see any difference. lol. Maybe I was not too observant.
Entry about Christmas celebration is coming up next. Hehe. I'm still uploading the pics from my camera. Still working on it.
It's Winter Solstice (dong zhi)!!
All the ladies would sit around the table wrapping the glutinous rice batter around the filling to make tang yuan of course! (What do people call tang yuan in English? I checked google translate, it says it's dumpling in English, but Baidu Encyclopedia says it's glue pudding in English. Dun care la. I just call it tang yuan) Normally the fillings are made of chopped peanuts mixed with some sugar syrup. Yummm!!
I prefer glutinous rice batter for tang yuan over the batter for mooncake because glutinous rice batter is cooling when rolled in palms and mooncake batter is oily and warm, yucks.. hehe.
Mum always emphasizes that Winter solstice is a very important occasion because it means family reunion. She always repeats every year that Winter solstice is when the weather gets really cold back in China and the family members stayed at home and eat those warm tang yuan and had some chitchats.
Making tang yuans with mum and aunt at aunt's house. I looked very yong sui here. haha.
Tasty peanut fillings
Tang yuans yet to be cooked. The glutinous skin tend to dry up really fast and stick to each other or stick to the pan. So we had to cover the tang yuan with flour from time to time.
We have 3 various colours this year: Red, white and the new colour, green.
Tang yuans were then boiled to cook. Supposedly those which floated up are cooked.
Tang yuan served with pandan leave soup
Mum made one tang yuan with smiling face. hehe. cute!
The red ones are with black sesame flavoured fillings
The green and white ones are with peanut flavoured fillings. I prefer peanut flavour.
Zhuang posing with tang yuan. Fake smile. haha.
People say winter solstice is the day with longest nighttime and shortest daytime. But I don't see any difference. lol. Maybe I was not too observant.
Entry about Christmas celebration is coming up next. Hehe. I'm still uploading the pics from my camera. Still working on it.

No comments:
Post a Comment