Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My narrate of IW June 09

Hey folks! I know it's kinda late to update my IW experiences. But now only got time ma. Hehe

Coz hor right after IW surely too tired lo. Then the next day after work I slept at 7.30pm after having my dinner. I haven't even shower le.. (Dirty.. I know) I was thinking just wanna take a nap and wake up at 9pm. Mana tau I woke up at 5.30am. My PC was still on. Read my mum's MSN message asking me why I took such a long nap that was I sick and then turned off the PC and continued to sleep until 7am and went straight to work. lol. Last night was too tired from grocery shopping and doing housechores hence I could only blog a bit.

IW is a chance for me to practice debrief and learn new stuff.

This time I had multiple tasks in IW:
1. In camp team - to cater for 2 dinners on Friday and Sunday at IYC, before and after camping
2. As trail blazer - trek 30 minutes earlier than the participants and put markings along the trail with my fellow trail blazer and sweep the participants
3. As game facilitator - set up the games and debrief the participants

When I was first assigned to this task by Dennis I totally had no idea how to cater for food. With deadlines pushing me to start my task, the momentum started with a series of phone calls, hagglings and confirmations. When I saw the food sent to IYC on Friday night only I believed that the phone calls really brought the food I ordered to me. Hehe.. But, the bad thing was, the Friday dinner was insufficient for each person. Many people felt hungry after a while. I felt bad. The next day I called up the aunty to ask her to put more portion for Sunday night. Keke. She promised to put more white rice. Better than nothing right? =D So the Sunday dinner was sufficient and the sweet and sour chicken was brilliant!

I've never dreamed of myself being a trail blazer coz I always thought trail blazer is a hardcore task and hence only guys are allowed to be trail blazer. I felt really honoured to be assigned to join the trail blazer team. Trekking up with the guys, Chung Shin, Chung Ee and Kelvin was fun and not tiring. All of us just took our own sweet time to walk up the hill. We used one and half hours to reach the rock during recce but 2 hours to reach the rock on the real IW. Hehe. Told you we walked up slowly lo. After we reached the rock all we needed to do was to wait for the participants. I wanted to take a nap on one of the rocks but too bad the sweat bees kept buzzing around me. The 3 guys also cannot tahan the bees. So 4 of us kept walking here and there and use towels to chase away the bees. It was until the first group of participants reached only I managed to lay on one of the rocks and fell asleep in the middle of the conversations between the coordinators and the participants.

Being a sweeper was demotivating. lol.. All these while I'm the kura-kura when trekking in a group. But this time, I had to follow behind the participants. It was really tiring and hungry. When I'm tired or hungry I will easily get grumpy. This time I was both tired and hungry and sticky from dried sweat! It was a great training for my patience.

When I was finally back to the campbase, I swallowed down the dinner and went for a fresh shower in the river. Shower had never been so refreshing in my life! Imagine the cold river water at night gushing pass your almost naked body. Mmm.. That was the most refreshing moment I had in this camp. lol. Seriously why haven't I tried this before? Last time only wash off the sweat in the river with clothes on. It felt so damn refreshing and clean after the real river bath! I will definitely try this again in the next camping. ;P

Debriefing is still difficult for me. I find it really hard to fish out the keyword from the participants by not mentioning the word but at the same time relating it to the situation they had faced in the game. I need a few more IWs to master in debriefing. Sigh. But there was once I felt satisfied with my performance. There was once I wanted to fish out the value "Trust" from the participants during debriefing. I asked them "When you all were playing this game, I noticed that most of you relaxed your neck and body when you all were carried by your team members, what was it that makes you relax?" Almost all of them blurted out "Trust!" with smiles on their faces. At that moment, I really wanted to dance around celebrating my first successful debrief question. lol. I hope there's more to come. =)

Sorry folks! Pictures of IW camp are forbidden to be displayed in the public. How sad!

Here are some photos taken during recce one week before IW.




How I wish I can share the happy memories during the camp especially the part when us, the game facilitators, tried out one odd way of building and driving a raft. We had fun =) And we proved that this game is actually workable if you paddle hard enough. =)


-----------

Eminem has a nice new song called "We made you". I like the slow but strong beats. =)

No comments: