Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cancer promoter in plastics

OK. This is a big news to me.

Not the tendency of plastic causing cancer. I knew this years ago. But all these while I don't know what type of plastic can cause cancer. Tupperware claims that their plastics won't. But I didn't buy their plastics coz it's pretty costly to me.

I'm using a plastic water bottle coded "7" at the bottom almost everyday. Basically I just drink water from this bottle everyday, even at home when glasses are available. I dun like to drink from glasses coz you have to keep refilling it whenever you want to drink water. Hehe. I'm such a lazy bum. All these while I thought the Code 7 plastic is safe to be used. I read it somewhere that it is. And I read that this kind of plastic can contain hot water and will not pose any health risks to consumers.

But, I found something contradicting just now. Last night, I went to Popular bookstore and for the very first time I feel like reading the magazine American Scientist there. And there's one article about polycarbonate made from a compound called bisphenol-A which can affect reproductory system. For example, egg defects, mammary gland cancer and prostate cancer. 40% of rodent babies staying in plastic cages washed frequently with acidic cleaning agents were found to have egg defects. I see no reason why human babies who consume bisphenol-A leached from the milk bottles made of polycarbonate due to high temperature or acidic conditions will not be affected. (Ok. Now I'm worried that my milk bottle 24 years ago is made of polycarbonate)

However no significant findings on human yet plus government keep saying the low dose of BPA in polycarbonate plasticwares will not pose any adverse effects on human (maybe because they don't want to admit this due to worry of the lost of certain benefits), I still feel that my lovely Code 7 bottle is a threat to me coz Code 7 plastics are made of chapalang compounds, one of which include polycarbonate. Somemore I always put hot water in to disinfect it. I think I've consumed enough bisphenol-A to make me a Superwoman. lol.

Sigh. But we have no choice but to use these plasticwares. Or should I start looking for Tupperware products? But in fact some Tupperware products also contains bisphenol-A according to this site. Sigh. Maybe I should chop down a bamboo and make myself an organic water bottle. lol.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh seriously and honestly.. im using Tupperware products, because of my aunty la.. hoho... but hor, i dun dare to put hot water oso eh... they claim that their products are all safe, but i duno whether this is true o not eh. cuz hor they are still 'DS' thingy eh... anyhow, if want to worry too much ar... whatever things that we use for daily purpose have the risk with it oso de (i think). is it because of the technology o what, duno eh... i prefer the ORI (from nature, but super hard to get now) one... hoho... and thus, i dun take any supplements that most ppl encourage me to take ^^ rmb Dr Khoo said, all those supplements are no effects, the oni thing is to keep urself feel secure!!! hohoho...

yinkheay said...

yaloh. tats y i also dun really like to take supplements. Coz I think everyday I got eat vege shud be healthy enuf oredi one.