Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dirty disposable chopsticks

I watched one video about the hidden dangers of disposable chopsticks manufactured in China before, but I didn't really care last time maybe because I was too ignorant back then.

Today saw one link in Facebook about a China news how disposable chopsticks are treated in China Hunan and Jiangxi before packaged. The process shocked me! (The video cannot be embedded here. So I find other related videos to embed here lo...)





They use many chemicals, which are toxic, to bleach and sterilize the chopsticks:

1. Treat the chopsticks in sulphur for 2 days to ensure no fungus will grow in the chopsticks. This eventually leads to deposition of sulfur dioxide in chopsticks. Sulfur dioxide, at high concentrations, reacts with moisture to form sulfurous acid which in sufficient quantities may harm the lungs, eyes or other tissues.

2. Dried in a charcoal room. From time to time the workers will take off their shoes and step onto the chopsticks to move the chopsticks so that they can dry faster.

3. Mix the chopsticks with paraffin wax which makes the chopsticks surface look clean and shiny.

4. Chopsticks which has fungal grow despite the sulfur treatment is further treated with hydrogen peroxide which kills fungus and also bleach the chopstick.


*I couldn't find health risks caused by paraffin wax and hydrogen peroxide.


Scary right? Next time bring your own chopsticks.

And be green.


No comments: